Friday 3 October 2014

Research on First Nation portrayal and stuff...


http://maps.fphlcc.ca/
This is the website Lou Ann provided me with, I found all the tribe names around the Enbridge pipeline.
I went to the Aboriginal Centre at the back of school cafe and I met Lou Ann. She was nice enough to give me feedback on my character designs. She also provided me links to start my research.
http://www.ecuad.ca/people/profile/135649

Lou Ann educated me on the actual usages of Indigenous accessories. All in all, it is hard to represent all the Native tribes with just one or two accessories, the safest way to go is to use just add long hair and braids.  

A recent example of Indigenous misrepresentation.

Many accessories aren't daily wears but for special occasions only.

Again, other than ceremonial purposes, First Nation's daily looks are simple as they are.

The photography of Edward S. Curtis shows a genuine portrayal of the First Nations people in B.C.

The First Nation people appears twice in our animation, the second time as protesters. For this, i believe it is safest to study real life Enbridge protestors.

The Canoe should make it obvious enough that they are the Native people. The Protestors are referenced off of the photos above. They are fully gears in their cultural clothing, it serves as a sharp contrast to their simple looks from their first appearance.
Studies of canoe carvings

I referenced off of the Eagle design as the safest choice for canoe art.
Yes, they use both spears and nets for fishing.

Net-fishing.

This is an underwater fish trap.


Making oolichan grease is actually a pretty complicated procedure, so for animation's sake, I will just portray it like the grease is getting rinsed out of the fish.

***Btw, I carefully checked my website and photos to make sure they are from believable sources. I also double checked the tribe names to make sure i'm not looking at any American First Nations (their way of dressing is different).


No comments:

Post a Comment